Saturday, February 21, 2009

I have been working on a really big (for me anyhow) new project; my first real commission. I am making 5 bridesmaids dresses for a dear friends wedding from a 1940's vintage dressmakers pattern. I have never sewn a vintage pattern so it has taken a little time to actually decode it, since they uses holes and notches in the pattern itself instead of writing to show grain, darts, fold etc. But I am following the instructions; even down to doing the fittings (on a dressform) and using tailors chalk. It is definitely an exciting adventure for me!

The dress is below. I am doing the larger dress on the right except without sleeves. The colors are amazing: fire engine red, yellow, hot pink, mid (peony) pink, and an orangey/pink/peachy color that I have yet to find at the fabric store. It's a rose garden theme, so all the bridesmaids picked their own colors along that line. I am well on my way to being done with the first dress, so I will add more pictures to this post once I have it on the dress form for the final fitting.



The hot pink in progress....



Progress update! I have finished the pink dress (except for the zipper... which will be installed once I get the motivation to drive to Jo-Anns one of these days) and have about 3/4 of the hem of the yellow dress left before it's done as well. It's exciting to see them come together and look so good, if I can say so myself.

Front:



Back:



My "patient prince" putting up with everything so so well:



And an inside out version of the yellow dress. It's my favorite color of them all for sure:

No comments: